January 2021: Month in Review

At the end of 2020 I read the oddly-charming One Woman's Year by Stella Martin Currey. It's an anthology-style book, focusing on her experiences  through the year one month at a time, January to December.

For each month she offers an essay, most favourite chore, least-favourite chore, recipe, recounting an excursion, and all sorts of other tidbits. 

Inspired by her work, I thought I might give this monthly recap a go here on the blog, adapting elements of her usual sections/chapters of life in rural England in 1953 to my life in 2021 in New Westminster. 


Above: Beautiful, wintry Banff* in Alberta


January Excursion: Facebook Marketplace Buys

We've been very COVID-cautious in our household - haven't eaten at a restaurant or gone to a bar in nine months, and we spent Christmas alone. Our main form of going out has been to pick up Facebook marketplace finds. This has resulted in some pretty strange things for us - being in a suburb in Delta at 9:00 on a Friday night to pick up a table, then off to Coal Harbour on a absolutely miserable Sunday afternoon. Or you, know, trying to rush out to North Van on a lunch break.

One interesting/possibly-different habit of ours is that I am banned (looong story) from Facebook Marketplace entirely (it's devastating, it's like having a library fine I can never pay off), so my husband is actually the Marketplace pro, bartering and wheeling and dealing while I'm just along for the ride (literally).

Trying to jenga multiple furniture pieces into our small car is always amusing, more often than not I'm sitting in strange positions in the middle back seat with my arm awkwardly around this or that while some other purchase rests on my lap. Also amusing is the various antics - one item we sold we were paid for (unexpectedly) with a roll of quarters. Such is life! And I donated said roll into one of the Salvation Army kettle drives.

Read this next: How Facebook Marketplace Is Getting Me Through the Pandemic on Wit & Delight 

Most-liked chore: Watering our New Plants

We recently moved and our new environs is completely different. Previously, we were in a beloved basement suite. Now, we are above ground and have natural light. Plants are now a legitimate possibility, whereas before, in our subterranean life, they were just a hopeful dream.

I have abdicated responsibility of Plant Maintenance to my husband, who I catch frequently whistling around the house, gently encouraging our new green wards with water and kind words. He is almost constantly rotating the plants around the house as well, a curious dance which I watch at a distance with amusement as he mutters under his breath "I think this is too SUNNY and not FILTERED light," "is this one not looking as vibrant as it was on Wednesday," etc, until the next day when the new spots are declared equally inadequate and I find myself awaking anew every day to a different configuration of plants.

Least-liked chore: Putting away Christmas Decorations

The last few years I have suffered this insane melancholy where the minute December 25th passes I am immediately sad and wish for more Christmas. It's like I didn't take advantage enough of this holiday that I'm so fond of, and I often end up listening to Christmas carols and watching holiday specials well into January. 

Putting away holiday decor both helps close out the calendar year and makes me sad. This year was a bit better - my husband, anticipating this annual malaise, had us put up our decor at the end of November so I had lots of time to view and enjoy, and I DO think it helped. Putting away the decor in 2020 was also helpful as 2020 was...interesting, and I, like everyone else, have high hopes for 2021.

January Recipes

Southwestern Corn Chowder by Cookie and Kate

I made this with frozen corn and it was still very hearty and tasty. Def don't skimp on the chili powder (flavour!) or sour cream/yoghurt, is what makes it nice and silky.

P.S. Check out Spice World in Winnipeg**! A POC, family-owned business that ships all over Canada. I ordered from them over the holidays and I'm very happy with my purchases.

Creamy Kale Pasta by Pinch of Yum

Not actually that creamy but very tasty nonetheless! I made ours with arugula instead of kale because it's what I had on hand and it was still tasty.


January Quote

I like this day; I like that sky of steel; 

I like the sternness and stillness of the world under this frost.

from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë





*Banff is the traditional lands of Treaty 7 Territory, comprised of the Stoney Nakoda Nations of Wesley, Chiniki, and Bearspaw; three Nations of the Blackfoot Confederacy: the Pikani, Kainai, and Siksika; and the Tsuu T'ina of the Dene people. Treaty 7 territory is also shared with the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
 **Winnipeg is Treaty 1 territory, the ancestral and traditional territories of the Anishinaabeg, Cree, Dakota, Dene, Métis, and Oji-Cree Nations.

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance