My Favourite Holiday TV/Movie Specials

Here are my fave shows to watch every winter, especially around the holidays.


Neo Yokio: Pink Christmas


I really loved the super short-lived anime-style series Neo Yokio on Netflix, I was even Helena St. Tessero for Halloween a few years ago

The Christmas special that ended the series was great, I watched it over and over and over when it first came out (I was sick in bed). Neo Yokio is sad and lonely...


Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: A Midwinter's Tale


Ep 11 of the first season of CAOS was this funny little holiday special. A little creepy, a lot silly, cozy and witchy, it is a gem for me.


"Chasing Shadows" music video by Santigold



I love this music video - just a woman, alone at Christmas looking glamorous. I deeply relate, especially this year.


Gilmore Girls Season 2, Episode 10: "The Bracebridge Dinner"



While not technically Christmas, I just appreciate this episode centring around an insane celebratory winter feast where the entire Gilmore family and Stars Hollow community is at their best.


The Shining dir. Stanley Kubrick



No, I'm not kidding. Kubrick was a monster (not in a good way), there is racist dialogue, and I am Team Shelley all the way. This is a wintry movie and again, the isolation of the family is especially relevant this year. 


Scott Pilgrim vs. The World dir. Edgar Wright


What can I say, I'm a sucker for the fact it's set in Canada, all the snow, and general antics. All of their parties and sad apartments remind me soooo much of my early twenties.


The X-Files Season 6, Episode 6: "How the Ghosts Stole Christmas"




Who doesn't love the Haunted House episode of any given mystery/thriller/sci-fi series? This one combines this classic trope with holiday spirits (literally) as we see Scully and Mulder once again capitulating to their ever-entangled tendencies on Christmas Eve. Plus, Lily Tomlin is one of the guest stars in this one.



This post was updated on December 23 to include The X-Files episode!

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance