April 2021: Month in Review

Painting above: Farm at Watendlath (c.1921) by Dora Carrington

April Excursion: Mundy Park 

Vaccinations are still a ways out for myself and my spouse, so our weekends are still a lot of walks in local parks just the two of us (masks on, of course). We recently went to Mundy Park in Coquitlam* and had a good walk. The trails are wide and walkable, lots of tall beautiful trees. It was lovely to see all the trilliums in bloom!

*Coquitlam is on the core territory of the kʷikʷəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem)(Kwee-kwet-lem) First Nation and lies within the shared traditional territories of the Tsleil-Waututh(Slay-wa-tuth), Katzie(Kate-zee), xʷməθkʷəy̓əm  (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), Quay Quayt(Key-Kite)​ First Nation​ and Sto:lo Nation. 


Most-Liked Chore: Planting Container Garden

A couple weeks ago we had unseasonably warm weather in my neck of the woods. I seized the opportunity and got to work setting up pots and planting seeds. I have about 10 containers going, including and empty yoghurt tub which I drilled holes into for drainage. 

All of the pots are resting on an old IKEA LACK side table on the balcony and I don't have a watering can, so I'm using a (clean) empty growler. Point is, it doesn't need to be glamorous-- I just want some radishes and basil. I think this will do the trick!


More about Gardening

VIDEO - The Paueru Gai Dialogues #2: On Food & Culture for Community Building

From Farms to Incubators: Celebrating Women Innovators in Agricultural Technology over at Ms.

This Toronto farmer wanted to address inequity in agriculture. Now she’s helping youth start and operate their own farms at The Star


Least-Liked Chore: Finding the Sunblock

The warm weather I alluded to in the previous section was so warm that I figured it best to err on side of caution and put some sunblock on for the warmest days and sunny lunch time walks. The problem was not this greasy routine, I have a healthy fear of UV rays, the problem was trying to find the damn sunblock. We have literally half a dozen bottles, but managed to lose all of them somewhere in the house.

We moved abut 6 months ago now (wait what??) and as the seasons turn, I am playing a continuous if trying game of trying to find various seasonal things (sunblock, tea lights). I'm not quite used to our new set up, and when I close my eyes and think of something I'm looking for (garden twine, that one particular scarf) I still see it in my mind's eye at our old place. I have some idea of where the item in question might be, but it still takes me a few tries before I get it right.


April Recipes

We rediscovered our appreciation for this easy vegan wrap over at Well and Full. Potato-based, it is easy, tasty, and with highly accessible ingredients.

For comfort food, we turned to Creamy Beef and Shells by Damn Delicious. Veggie ground round subs in very nicely for this recipe.

This Vegan French Lentil Niçoise salad by The Full Helping was quite tasty and made for a refreshing meal after a few nights of pizza, nachos, and various other deep-fried delights.

Lastly, we were pleasantly surprised by Brussels Sprouts tacos by Pinch of Yum. Who knew that brussels sprouts would be such a good taco base? 


April Quote

They were part of the springtime; as much as the leaf-buds in the wood behind them and the new grass under their dancing feet. Young and lovely as they were, all the beautiful things in life were before them and possible to them.

From The Priory by Dorothy Whipple




More from this Year

March Month in Review

February Month in Review

January Month in Review 

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance