Tough Questions: Is Production my Dream Job?

I've made a whole series of videos based on being in Production in Vancouver's Animation industry. But is it my dream job?



I mentioned in the first video that this third series of videos was inspired by an online mentoring session I did with some youth in the lower mainland. 

They asked one question in particular that gave me pause: Is this your dream job?

My controversial answer for this is: being in Production is not quite my dream job, and here’s why:




When I first started out in the animation industry, I was coming from the non-profit sector. I wanted to help shape the stories that shape us. How can I do this in Production, where we never actually build any assets or open any shots?

To be clear, I have never attempted to re-qualify for a creative role in animation, nor do i want to. I’ve always liked being in Production and think I’m suited to the work we do here. For more on this, check out  Video 4, “My Experience in Production."

I don’t think having creative control over the look of the show or stories is likely to be within my grasp any time soon in Production. 

That being said, I’m still confident that Production can be by dream job. Here’s what I want:

I want to be working with crew where half my crew/artists and supervisors are women or non-binary folks, and for these people to be safe at work.

I want the clients I work with to be the same - I want to see boardrooms on the other side that are as diverse as my crew.

I want to be truly proud of every show I work on if for nothing else but the content of the show itself.What I mean is,  the ideal cartoon for me will be inclusive, diverse in every way, as well as supremely funny and entertaining. 

RESOURCES
I said diverse in every way--that means size, too: I Want No Part of your Secret Fatphobic Club

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance