A Course in Production: Introduction




What is the intention of this course?

Think of this as a crash course mentoring for those in or interested in having a Production role in the 3D/CG animation industry.

I’m hoping to expand on what the role of Production is, how to be a good Production Coordinator, Manager, etc, and I’m going to share a few things I have tried or learned along the way that have been successful for me thus far.

You can read the series overview (including a preview of all topics that I'll be covering!) here.


Who is this course for?

This course is aimed at two groups of people:

  1. Those in the animation industry who are either in production currently and are looking to improve their performance 
  2. Those who are looking to get into Production but might be in another department currently within the animation industry

This course assumes a baseline knowledge of the 3D/CG animation pipeline, and is not meant to be an introduction to 3D animation in general.


My experience 

I have worked in the animation industry in Vancouver for six and a half years. 

I’ve worked at four very different studios, with varying responsibilities and roles at each, having been a Production Coordinator, Production Manager, and now I’m a Producer.

I’ve worked on a feature film, straight-to-DVD or streaming movies, and animated series including Mattel projects, Disney’s Goldie and Bear Season Two, Sausage Party, and most recently, Disney’s Emmy-award winning series Elena of Avalor. 

Among many regular episodes of Elena, I produced the two-part Song of the Sirenas, the Magic Within, and the forthcoming three-part series and season finale, the Coronation of Elena of Avalor. 

I should note that I have only worked in 3D animation, not 2D or games. I think a lot of the skills are transferable, though I did want to state that up front since the jargon I will be using is from the 3D side of things


Why me?

There are a few reasons why I’ve decided to make this course.

First, I’ve had a few people approach me over the last few months for career mentoring about how to get into Production specifically. I figured I may as well sit down and put out all my thoughts here for more people to have access to.

Second, practically speaking, I have the time right now. At this time, I’m still trying to be cautious about quarantine rules and best practices, so while I’m spending more time at home, why not do this?

Finally, many of my former coworkers and peers have kindly encouraged me to do something along the line of training up and coming production staff for a while. Better late than never!

I’m hoping that I’m bringing something more unique to the table as I try to operate through an intersectional feminist lens. As someone of Asian descent, I would also like to recognize that I am a visitor and my work in this industry and this series itself takes place on the unceded and traditional territories of the Musqueaum, Squamish, and Tseil-Waututh peoples. 


Introduction Resources

  1. Women in Animation
  2. The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick by Mallory O'Meara
  3. Don't Be A Jerk at Work Podcast
  4. Words to Live By: Women's Work Edition


A Course in Production is a series of blog posts and videos intended for those who are either in or want to learn more about the role of Production teams in the 3D animation industry. You can learn more about the course here.

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance