Best Of Jamila Ahmed's Every Rising Sun

Here is a selection of memorable quotes from Every Rising Sun by Jamila Ahmed.


“It is human to seek your destiny. 

We angels follow the path He sets for us and do not deviate.”

p.136


To think, I have traveled from Bam, but more of the world still stretches beyond. Is it greedy to want more? Baba’s voice tickles my ear: There is always more, Shaherazade, but a wise man knows when to be content.

p.218


And I see: mountains and deserts and far-flung cities, the places in my tales, Cairo and Fez and Tashkent and Mecca, their bazaars and libraries, histories, holy places, and storytellers beneath long-branched trees, Atsiz at my side, easy and beloved. I suppress a shiver at this intoxicating and rare liberty that is mine, frightening, confusing, and heady, all at once.

p. 410

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

Best of Helen Oyeyemi's "Peaces"

"...the scale of my ambition"