'It was snowing when I got off the bus at Flax Hill'

 

Painting above: Winter Tree 3 (c.1957) by Georgia O'Keeffe

It was snowing when I got off the bus at Flax Hill. Not quite regular snowfall, not exactly a blizzard. this is how it was: the snow came down heavily, settled for about a minute, then the wind moved it--more rolled it, really--onto another target. One minute you were covered in snow, then it sped off sideways, as if a brisk, invisible giant had taken pity and brushed you down. Next, just as you'd caught your breath, a boomerang effect made a snowman of you all over again. I could only see a few steps ahead of me, and about one step behind me.

- from Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance