March Recipe Roundup

Here are the new and tasty vegetarian things I tried cooking in March! 


A little bit of everything: Cooking from Library Cookbooks 



I recently got a library card and discovered they have tons of recent and relevant cookbooks that I've been wanting to check out. As such, I've been able to cook stuff by Joy Wilson, Bobby Flay, Rachel Khoo, and more! It's been a great way to try a bunch of new things.

One thing that is really simple but has made a difference for us is the basic fried egg and poached egg recipe techniques that Joy Wilson describes in her book, Over Easy: Sweet & Savory Recipes for Leisurely Days Cookbook. We had great success with both - she recommends using a strainer! Crack your egg in there first, let the runny stuff drain off, then gently transplant to the simmering water or frying pan. Also practical from Wilson - how to season and clean your cast iron skillet.


Trying to avoid food waste: Cozy Cavatappi Pasta

I normally don't go in for very cheesy or creamy pastas unless they are you know, mac and cheese. 

Trying out this recipe was a move I made to avoid food waste with a food random items in the fridge. I was trying to find a recipe that would use up one lonely veggie sausage we had, a bit of ricotta leftover from another recipe, and the few roasted red peppers left in one jar and fortunately this recipe covered all of them!

This was too cheesy for my taste, but my ex-wife really enjoyed it and it came together quite easily.


Salads for Dinner

Above: Roasted Chickpea Salad with Hot Harissa Dressing from Chatelaine

There are a few meals that, no matter what I do, never fill me up for long enough. Those meals are oatmeal (doesn't matter if its instant or overnight, dressed up or plain), grilled cheese sandwiches, and salads (even if they are loaded with grains or lentils). While I enjoy all these things individually, I'm hesitant to make a meal out of any of them frequently as I'm always hungry and hour or so later. Nevertheless, I know I'm a bit of a minority in this and still give these recipes a go every once in a while.

The January/February 2022 issue of Chatelaine had a great recipe collection special on 30 days of delicious, dinner-in-a-bowl salads, dividing up the recipes into chicken, vegetarian, vegan, steak + pork, and seafood-based salads.There are tons of great, accessible ideas in this, here are four vegan salad recipes from this special, and seven vegetarian salad-based meals!


Read this next

January Recipe Roundup

February Recipe Roundup (includes explanation of why I'm doing this series!)


Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance