2 Quotes on Marriage

 Here are a couple of quotes about marriage, presented without comment.

Painting and frame above: Diego and Frida (c.1944) by Frida Kahlo

But husbands are uncanny, too. It all seems to come from having to be each other's anchor, bread and butter, constant calm. Emotionally speaking he and I have to remain in some fixed state where we can always be found if necessary. In the midst of arguments I should have rightfully won I've found myself conceding points to him because some appeal is made to this fixed place. A look, a word, a touch. How could anyone enjoy this, the possibility, necessity even, of their being called to heel in this way? It disturbs me that there's part of my heart or mind, or some spot  where the two meet, a spot that isn't mine because I'm a wife. That part isn't really me at all, but a promise I made on a snowy day.

p.270 of Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi


A marriage is a private thing. It has its own wild laws, and secret histories, and savage acts, and what passes between married people is incomprehensible to outsiders. We look terrible to you, and severe, and you see our blood flying, but what we carry between us is hard-won, and we made it just as we wished it to be, just the colour, just the shape.

p.215-216 of Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente


Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance