December 2021: Month in Review

I have done these monthly reviews since January! Here are the highlights and low points of December 2021.

Painting above: Covered Bridge in Winter (c. 1964) by Maud Lewis


December Excursion: Kananaskis Mountain Lodge

We were very lucky to visit Kananskis Mountain Lodge this year, it is so beautiful. A wintry escape, both fun and some vibes of a secluded mountain lodge that us fans of The Shining appreciate. The mountains are truly breathtaking with all the snow, and even with the record-breaking cold temperatures it was still humbling to see it all.

I got to visit lots of beautiful Alberta parks this year over Christmas, and I was reminded that land acknowledgements are one thing, actually being respectful is quite another. This list is a good reminder if what you can practice as a responsible visitor.

Most-liked Chore: Laundry in Calgary*

My in-laws live in Calgary and they graciously hosted us this year for Christmas. One thing I love about Calgary is doing laundry. Everything you air dry in Calgary on the drying rack dries in a snap overnight, even jeans, just because of how arid it is out there. Here in BC it takes, like 2-3 days for a pair of jeans to dry on the line, cluttering up your place with drying racks in the meantime, trying to avoid the sour smell in clothing if it doesn't dry enough, etc -- no such problems in Calgary!

Least-liked Chore: Preparing for Flights

I hate flying and was surprised that my fear of flying somehow got worse over the pandemic despite our flight to Calgary being the first in two years. My anxieties aside, the whole affair is such a hoopla--arriving on time, who is carrying what in which carryon, getting your liquids sorted, scrambling to take off your boots in a long line-up in security. I know its all necessary for safety and such, but especially amid COVID it's even more nerve-wracking.

December Recipes

Red Lentil Chickpea Loaf with Mushroom Gravy by the full helping

When it comes to holiday meals, I rarely make vegetarian loafs of any kind any more. They are often a lot of work and time-consuming for mediocre taste and very rarely do they pass muster with those who normally eat meat (i.e. if you are at a family dinner). Plus I generally find such recipes are a lot of fanfare by white vegans whose enthusiasms I find especially wearying these days...

This veggie loaf though, I must say, wasn't too bad. It was a lot of work and time-consuming, but we were pretty pleased with the end result. We two vegetarians just ate it at home, though I would seriously consider serving it with non-veg folks in the future (you know, post-Omicron). It is not so good that I would recommend non-veg folks making this as an entree on their own, however, too much work and time and you would likely get a much better result from cooking with meat per usual.

Recipe notes:

  • Use the gravy recipe from this recipe instead of this mushroom gravy--the one from the holiday bowls is somehow much tastier imo
  • I served this with mashed potatoes using the recipe from Mary Berg's "Secret Ingredient Mashed Potatoes" in her book Kitchen Party
  • We just had steamed green beans, I think roasted broccoli would have been nice with this for varied textures
  • We didn't have any cranberry sauce on hand so I served this with a spoon of lingonberry jam from IKEA and it was a very pleasing alternative
  • Def put the ketchup on top as she suggests!

Had we hosted any holiday gatherings, I for sure would have turned to my cookbook Set for the Holidays with Anna Olson. It's full of lots of good recipes for drinks, desserts, appetizers and entrees, not to mention a lot of good tips for entertaining and hosting. While there aren't a ton of veg recipes, many are easily veg-adaptable.

December Quote

In December the first frosts came with the full moon, and then my nights of vigil held a quality harder to bear. There was a sort of beauty to them, cold and clear, that caught at the heart and made me stare in wonder. From my windows the long lawns dipped to the meadows, and the meadows to the sea, and all of them were white with frost, and white too under the moon.

- from My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier




* Calgary is the traditional territories of the Blackfoot Confederacy (Siksika, Kainai, Piikani), the Tsuut’ina, the Îyâxe Nakoda Nations, the Métis Nation (Region 3).

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance