My Favourite Funny Reads

We're a few days past April Fool's Day. As such, here are some books that truly made me laugh out loud.



While the authors aren't terribly diverse, half the books on this list are by Canadian writers.

Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield 

I read this on my honeymoon as part of the Persephone Newlywed Box Set a dear friend gave me as a wedding present (thanks again, CS!) I was skeptical that a fictional diary of an English housewife trying to manage her household in the 1930s would be relevant or funny for me, but I swear I was dying laughing reading some entries.

Alice, I Think by Susan Juby

I don't do YA with a couple exceptions: anything by L.M. Montgomery and Alice, I Think. I read this when I was a teen (and probably about 7-8 times since then), and the antics of this teen in Smithers, B.C. was too good. My favourite chapter is when they go for haircuts.

Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosch

This is a graphic novel! I howled with laughter reading Brosch's first book, Hyperbole and a Half, which was a gift from my sister-in-law. The second I saw Brosch's second book, Solutions and Other Problems hit the shelves I bought it and laughed my way through Christmas 2020.



Listen to the Squawking Chicken: When Mother Knows Best, What's a Daughter To Do? A Memoir (Sort Of) by Elaine Lui

Lui's sort-of memoir about her Ma is the cringey sort of humour like The Office. You'll die reading it. It's the polar opposite of Gilmore Girls,and there's also lots of magic. Reading it, I was crazy enough to wonder if Lui wrote this thinking about ME specifically. There's a lot of appeal here -  matriarchy, being Asian, magic, etc. You've gotta read this one ASAP if you need a laugh.

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance