Best Of Sylvia Plath's "Letters Home"

Here is a selection of memorable quotes from Letters Home: Correspondence 1950-1963 by Sylvia Plath

Painting above: this is not Sylvia Plath, this is Portrait of Inez (c. 1933) by Helen Lundeberg


Writing sharpens life; life enriches writing. Ironically enough, I write best when I am happy, because I then have that saving sense of objectivity which is humour and artistic perspective. When I am sad, it becomes a one-dimensional diary. So a full, rich life is essential.

p. 232


I accept these days and these livings, for I am growing and shall be a woman beyond women for my strength. I have never been so exultant, the joy of using all my wit and womanly wisdom is a joy beyond words. What a huge humour we have, what running strength!

p.264


I am finding a growing self and soul of which I am becoming proud in a good, honest sense. The one sin in this world is exploiting other people or cheating and fooling oneself; it’s a lifelong fight to forge a vital life; I wish us both the guts and grace to do it on your birthday and my half-birthday.

p.270


I think I am a pagan-Unitarian at best!

p.509


The people here are also another source of amazement and new discovery. I don’t think I’ve ever been so conscious of the dignity and capacity of women. Why, even in my home there is a startling collection of intelligent, perceptive girls–each one fascinating in her own way. I enjoy knowing people well and learning about their thoughts and backgrounds.

p.58


It is interesting to know that most Cambridge boys preferred me when I was sick with sinus and they could take cater of me, because that was the only time they were stronger.

p.283


We are such late maturers, beginning our lives at the average age of 25, that we don’t want children for at least several years yet.  Until we’re well-off enough financially to afford a housekeeper…so I won’t be torn between domestic chores and my writing fulfillment, which is my deepest health—being articulate in print.

p.342


I am very proud of you, Sylvia. I love telling your story. Someone remarked to me after reading your poem in the Atlantic, “How intense.” Sometime write me a little poem that isn’t intense. A lamp turned too high might shatter its chimney. Please just glow sometimes.

- Olive Prouty in a letter to Sylvia p. 351


I feel most like walking, reading, and musing by myself now after three long months of enforced, external exerting and extrovert living.

p.427

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance