4 More Pandemic Hobbies

Here are four things I've been doing lately to continue to pass the pandemic time.

Where I live, it is looking like I still have months to go before my spouse and I get our vaccines. Pandemic hobbies are still a necessity, we are still looking for ways to stay entertained. Here are some new things we have come up with lately.

Turn the lights out

Above: Mia Wasikowska in Crimson Peak

We forgot to do Earth Hour on the appointed day this year, so we powered down for an hour randomly on a Saturday night. It was surprisingly fun to sit with a few candles lit and the camping head lamp on in the dark, just having a beer and some snacks. It felt vaguely adventurous to go to the bathroom holding a candle like I was in Crimson Peak or something, and we both giggled our way around in the dark. Try it, you might be surprised.

Celebrate a random holiday

On April 23, for this first time ever, me and my spouse will be celebrating a Spanish holiday called St. Jordi's Day. Sort of like Valentine's Day where people give each other books and roses. I first heard about it in Helen Oyeyemi's short story "books and roses," so we figured why not give it a go and celebrate it this year, we can't go anywhere and have nothing else going on.

Get haunted

We were recently delighted to read in the local paper that there is a Paranormal Society in our city. If no such thing exists where you live, it's still fun to look up local lore or otherwise ponder hauntings in your place of residence.

Vicarious living through Travel shows

Above: from My Swedish Kitchen by Rachel Khoo!

I know this isn't particularly groundbreaking, but I myself have been enjoying Rachel Khoo's Swedish Kitchen, The Misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan, and Travel Man on CBC Gem. Nice to see some places I would some day like to visit, gaining knowledge about what's fun to do on the ground in these cities. 

Fun discovery - Richard Ayoade hosts Travel Man, and we have discovered that our cat LOVES him! She has never been one to watch TV, but we think it's Ayoade's voice - whenever I have it on, without fail, she appropriates my lap and faces the screen, blissfully watching Ayoade's international adventures. She has such a crush on him, it's quite cute.


Other pandemic hobbies on the yak occidental
How we do a Party for Two
An Introvert's Guide to the Apocalypse 


Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance