Oddities from the Vaults 2: German Winter Cooking Challenge

My sister observed to me last week that this year for COVID Christmas everyone seemed to be going all-out with their Christmas dinner recipes. Between being cooped up with nothing else to do, and you know, the surge in people cooking new and different recipes for the first time, I think she's on to something.

On these awkward between-Christmas-and-NYE days, if you find yourself with nothing to do, might I suggest attempting one of these German heritage recipes pictured here?

Earlier in the summer I mentioned I have this dear old cookbook of German Heritage recipes. I was idly flipping through it the other day and was once again marvelling at the strangeness of some of these offerings. 


ACTUALLY, I will have the Cream Schnitt. That's right, I said Schnitt.


No, there is more of an art to potato pudding than merely over-mashing your mashed potatoes.


Finally something festive! Please note how dear it is that you are requested to add "5 cents worth" or "8 cents worth"of certain items per recipe 2 and 3 above.

Also please note just HOW many cookies these recipes will make - six pounds of flour?? 2 pounds of brown sugar?? You WILL be set for the entire year after this.


Why attempt Buttermilk Soup just once when you can attempt FIVE variations. Also is this Soup or rice pudding? Won't know 'til you try!



And lastly, our pièce de résistance: make Dwight Schrute proud and make some Beet Wine:



Fair warning though, you might end up like Angela:



For those of you who have had your fill of sourdough and other baked goods, might I suggest watching the Holiday episode of The Great British Baking Show starring the cast of Derry Girls?

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance