the yak occidental Holiday Shopping Guide

An observation: over the summer, we saw a lot of brands, bloggers, companies, etc, state their solidarity and/or support for Black communities in North America. I'm seeing the holiday shopping guides come out from said bloggers, brands, etc, and I'm disappointed to say that many do not feature Black-owned businesses. Please consider this when you are making a list and checking it twice.

I would also urge you to support small, local businesses this holiday season. Amazon, Apple, Nordstrom, Sephora, Wal-Mart, etc, do not need your help right now. Put your money back into your own community by shopping at small, independently-owned local businesses. 

/rant. Now get shopping with our suggestions below!


For the person who lives in athleisure: St. Lyon 


Image above from St. Lyon

I personally own clothing by St. Lyon. Excellent customer service and products, though I do feel sizing runs a bit small.

I would further like to give props to St. Lyon for donating 10% of their profits to a charity of your choice (there is a drop down when you go to make a purchase).


For the bibliophile: Massy Books, Iron Dog Books, Raven Reads

If you're in Vancouver, check out Massy Books in Chinatown OR shop online!

I haven't been to Iron Dog Books in Vancouver yet but I really want to!

I also haven't tried Raven Reads yet but it seems like a brilliant book-subscription for the readers in your life!

If the three vendors above don't have what you're looking for, skip Indigo and Amazon and try ordering through Pulp Fiction, which has three locations in Vancouver. I've had them hunt down some very obscure stuff for me, they always come through!


For the loved one who lives & breathes fast fashion: Power of my People OR KOTN

Buy them something quality from an ethical fashion brand!

I don't own anything by POMP yet, I'd personally go for this or this shirt. POMP campaigns are inclusive, their sizing offers a good range, they are based in the lower mainland in BC, and they are giving back with their holiday sale.

KOTN struggles with size diversity in a major way, I do feel their basics are well-made and they offer a lot of great colours and trendy cuts. Sizing also runs very small - I wear a Small at KOTN and usually I'm an XS. A friend who is my size also shops a size up at KOTN. 


For the luxurious: CADETTE or MONOXIDE

Looking for quality, beautiful jewellery? I can personally vouch for CADETTE--have a pair of their earrings that I bloody LOVE.

Though I have yet to actually shop at MONOXIDE, there are many items high on my wish list from them such as this necklace.

For the person who has everything: make a donation already!

Make a donation in their name. Seriously. This is the year. 

If you are unsure which charities are legit, there is tons of great info on Charity Intelligence Canada, including Top 10 Impact Charities.

MORE:

Top 5 Calgary Charities

Top 5 Toronto Charities

Top 10 International Charities 

Top 10 Canadian Youth Charities


For the person you don't actually know that well: Gift Boxes by Powell Street Festival or Make It Vancouver!

Above: the Momiji Box from PSF!

Come on, you know it happens! Maybe you are meeting your significant other's parents for the first time, or maybe you got stuck getting the boss a gift this year on behalf of your company. I would suggest in this scenario to go with a gift box where there's a little bit of everything.

Powell Street Festival offers the Momiji or Matsu gift box filled with goodies by local Japanese Canadian crafters and artisans.

Similarly, Make It Vancouver offers a few gift boxes filled with items by small local businesses as well, offering a Foodie Favourites Box, Self Care Box, and A Little Bit of Everything Box!


For the house proud: Refill Shop

Okay so we're all housebound and house proud this year! Consider giving gifts that move towards zero waste or are more eco-friendly. I have lots of ideas in the yak occidental Zero-Waste Household guide.

The Refill Stop in New Westminster has an online shop with all sorts of great local, zero-waste goodies as well.


For the Naughty: #IndianLovePoems by Tenille K. Campbell

Campbell's book is the only poetry book I put on my Utopian Reads list in the summer. If you're looking for a little something to keep you warm on these winter nights, def get her book already!


For something truly special and unique: Royal Bison, Tara Davis Studio Boutique, Crafted, Got Craft?

Above: The Royal Bison online craft fair starts TODAY!

I have personally shopped at all of these venues/stores in pre-COVID times.

If you live in wonderful Winnipeg, head over to Tara Davis Studio Boutique ASAP! What a cool gal. Her store features all sorts of beautiful goods and products from all over Canada. The boutique Instagram is regularly updated with all sorts of fantastic gift-giving ideas.

Crafted is in the Calgary Farmer's market and also has an excellent online store that I have ordered from many times when I'm stuck in BC. Also features beautiful gifts for you and your home from makers all over Canada.

The Royal Bison online craft fair starts Friday, November 27th! So many unique treasures to be found here, most by Prairie-based makers. I have shopped online in the summer at the Royal Bison and it's so well organized and found so many cool things. They've also put together some handy gift guides.

The folks at Vancouver-based Got Craft? are also working hard to ensure local crafters can get their unique treasure to holiday shoppers. I have shopped at many of their online craft fairs the last few months - super well-organized, great selection.


For the beauty queens: Cheekbone Beauty OR Sḵwálwen Botanicals

I really, really want some lipstick from Cheekbone Beauty - nothing like a bold lip to add some glamour to all your endless zoom calls!

If you feel like you've aged a decade in 2020, maybe something from Sḵwálwen Botanicals can help soothe!



I want more local!

The folks at Poppytalk have done a great series on local Vancouver businesses called Small Business Profile. They also did this great post on 30 stunning designs from Indigenous Makers on Instagram.



Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance