Systemic Racism in Canada: The Example of UBC Vancouver


There has been a lot of talk lately about systemic racism -- what it is, where it happens, how and why it happens.

I'd like to offer the example of the University of British Columbia, the Vancouver campus specifically, in this quick discussion of institutional or systemic racism.


This post-secondary educational institution has been in the news a lot lately for various mishaps and appointments, I have provided an extremely brief timeline below.


Painting above: The Governors of the Guild of St. Luke, Haarlem c. 1663 by Jan de Bray

On June 16th, Santa J. Ono, the President and Vice-Chancellor of UBC announced that the university would be making a committee to examine systemic racism at UBC. You can read the announcement in full here.

On June 18th, it was announced that the " UBC Board of Governors has appointed former Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia the Honourable Steven Lewis Point to become the university’s 19th Chancellor. He will be the first Indigenous person to hold the position."

(Note that it was only a couple years ago in 2018 that UBC formally apologized to First Nations survivors of residential schools)

On June 22, Ono made a statement on the resignation of Michael Korenberg. Korenberg was the head of the UBC board of governors and was caught liking tweets disparaging the Black Lives Matter movements. Interestingly, just a few days before Korenberg was found out, he was praising the appointment of the Honorable Steven Lewis Point (literally in the link above) as the 19th Chancellor of UBC. 


Painting above: Young Scholar in his study; Melancholy c. 1660 by Pieter Codde

Please take a moment to really consider the discrepancy of Korenberg's behaviour and how it relates to your own journey with prejudice and racism. 

After all, in praising the appointment of Steven Lewis Point to Chancellor, Korenberg was saying something seemingly good (and arguably progressive) about the desperately-needed Indigenous representation at UBC. He said this one thing recently, but his behaviour an actions in disparaging the Black Lives Matter movements relayed a very different message about what he holds dear.  

Similarly, perhaps you posted a black square on your Instagram recently. You were, I would assume, 'saying something' with this black square. But what have you done? Are you enthusiastic about Black Lives Matter, but joke about First Nations communities in Canada "living off of government handouts"?  Or perhaps you have complained about "immigrants coming in and taking up all the jobs for Canadians".


Painting above: Haarlem Printer Abraham Casteleyn and His Wife Margarieta van Bancken by Jan de Bray

Why UBC?
I am focusing on UBC in particular as it is a big institution with an international reputation, and it is local. Also, I think that some folks might still think universities are particularly impervious to systemic racism, being as universities tend to have a heavy hand in producing the next  generation of scholars, thinkers, etc.

Lastly, I was there and the ground at the time the examples below were happening.

My time at UBC
UBC is where I graduated with my Bachelor of Arts in 2012. I was active as a student and volunteer for many campus activities and groups 2007-2012. 

What I'm sharing here doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the racism and sexism I believe I witnessed at UBC during my time there. I'm very grateful and privileged to have a post-secondary education, it has changed my life. I'm also mindful that a greater examination of the other systemic oppression I witnessed at UBC (and no doubt many other institutions like it--remember, I'm using UBC as an example because it was my experience) is better explained in a series of posts.


Painting above: Governors of the Wine Merchant's Guild c. 1661 by Ferdinand Bol 

Racism at UBC 2007-2012
Here are just a few of the racism-related scandals I remember that occurred during my undergrad. 

The intention of sharing these older stories is to show that systemic racism has existed for a long time, and that continuously, despite being 'caught in the act', big institutions, like UBC, fail to act on systemic racism in a meaningful, lasting way.

Professor Jennifer Chan accuses UBC of 'racial bias' - 2011

UBC awards degrees to interned Japanese Canadian students - 2012*
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ubc-awards-degrees-to-interned-japanese-canadian-students-1.1213676

https://issuu.com/ubyssey/docs/2_returns_yearbook_ubc

http://www.vancouversun.com/years+later+Japanese+Canadians+kicked+degrees+with+video/6704125/story.html

This is very personal to me as my Great Uncle was one of the students honoured. Rather amazingly, we graduated the same year from UBC. Please note that rectifying this historical injustice was not UBC's idea nor the AMS (UBC's student union), it was a local activist Mary Kitagawa who brought the issue forward (THANK YOU MARY!!)

The infamous MacLeans "Too Asian" article - 2010
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/too-asian/

Painting above: Still life of books c. 1628 by Jan Davidsz de Heem

Read more on systemic racism
How I learned about white privilege here.

Former Governor General Michaëlle Jean says it's 'irresponsible' to deny systemic racism exists in Canada

Five charts that show what systemic racism looks like in Canada

Black Women Talk Systemic Racism and Injustice in 12 Powerful TEDWomen Talks



At first I asked myself what I had learned in the university. 
I placed all the answers to this question in a corner of my mind. 
Then for a few minutes I dwelt on the number of things I did not know. 
Then I compared, and became perplexed. 
Still, as I walked with my face upturned toward the sky, 
I thought of all I had to say, of all the things stirring within me. 
Inexperience, youth, all seem things which I must conquer, alone, 
and only one comforting thought remains, 
that I have learned the rudiments of my art 
and that I shall spend the summer writing.
Anaïs Nin

Thanks to JW again for covering my Gruncle Roy's graduation for the Ubyssey 

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance