3 Paradigm Shifts that Make a Difference

Here are three paradigm shifts that have made a difference in my life.

Painting above: The Giantess c. 1947 by Leonora Carrington

Okay, so what is a "paradigm shift"? Basically, its change in the way you see and think about things. Originally a scientific term and concept, I first learned about it via reading Stephen R. Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

Covey defines a paradigm as, "a model, theory, perception, assumption, or frame of reference. In the more general sense, it's the way we 'see' the world--not in terms of our visual sense of sight, but in terms of perceiving, understanding, interpreting."

By extension, a paradigm shift, "whether they shift us in a positive or negative directions, whether they are instantaneous or developmental, paradigm shifts move us from one way of seeing the world to another. And those shifts create powerful change. Our paradigms, correct or incorrect, are the sources of our attitudes and behaviours, and ultimately our relationships with others."

Enough jargon--below are three practices I have changed in my life, borne of paradigm shifts.

Never apologize for eating




This is a simple but profound one. One time when I was in university, I was waiting with a friend for our volunteer meeting to start. I pulled out some food so as to shovel in a few bites before we started, idly apologizing to my friend. She looked at me and simply said, "never apologize for eating." She was totally right (thank you, RB). 

Women apologize for everything already, and if we eat, it's because we are hungry or are otherwise trying to care for our physical bodies. There is nothing wrong with that.


Appreciate all of the seasons

For me, this paradigm shift of appreciating all seasons emerged from my spiritual beliefs and practices. 
"Don't overlook the powerful effect seasonal awareness and the Earth's touch has in bringing your body back to flow. Nature and its seasons are waiting at the ready to bring us back into harmony with ourselves, the Earth and Universe at large"
Rebecca Campbell 
Where I live in Canada, we generally experience four seasons a year: spring, summer, autumn, and winter. I personally follow the Wheel of the Year, which is kinda like zooming in on the existing four seasons, recognizing six seasons within a calendar year instead.


Image above from Jessup's General store, which is in Regina*! Get your print here.

Another way I came to appreciating the seasons is via reading L.M. Montgomery's books. She has something beautiful to say about every season in pretty much all of her books**.

Seasonal shifts evoke a lot of feelings related to wellness for people, myself very much included. For example, in the summer we are more likely get out and enjoy the outdoors. Winter brings wellness concerns for many, for example, those who have seasonal affective disorder (commonly known as SAD).


"Develop a relationship with the changing seasons around you. Notice the hope and inspiration of spring, the celebration, rising and outward connection of summer, the falling away and letting go of fall (autumn), and the replenishment, clarity, rest, surrendering, and potency of winter"
Rebecca Campbell

For me, winter is my favourite season, a time for regeneration. I frequently say that I have"reverse SAD" wherein I'm happiest in the rainy, cold times of the year and depressed during the sunny, warmer times of the year. Spring I always associate suffering with hayfever/seasonal allergies. Autumn irritates me because of the excess #PSL and pumpkin patch pictures...general pervasiveness of white supremacy and associated imagery, I guess. 

Since I became aware of the hangups above, I've made a lot of progress in examining them. I've made an effort instead to find something to enjoy and appreciate in all seasons. I still have days in each of the seasons where my old thoughts come back to haunt me--this is very much an ongoing process, and in my opinion, one definitely worth pursuing.

Go out when it's raining


Above: Mia Wasikowska as Jane Eyre in 2011

I owe this one to my Mum. Back when I was like, maybe fourteen (?), I remember moping about the house one day--I had intended to do something outside, but it was raining and spoiled my plans. My mum just blinked at me, told me to put on a raincoat, boots, and gtfo at any rate. She was right, so I did (but also, Azn parents, amiright?).

Similar to accepting the seasons above, this is a big one in the city where I live; it's quite literally a rainforest climate and rains a lot.

Generally speaking, it's just water. If you want to go outside for a walk or hike and it's rainy, don't let that stop you, put on a raincoat and boots, grab an umbrella, and get out there. It's lovely out when it's raining--no one is around, and trees, etc, look so pretty in the rain (it's why they sing about raindrops on roses, you know).

Need an extra push? Just think of the heroines in the Brontë sister's novels--they're forever tramping about the moors in all sorts of weather, living their wild lives.




*Regina is Treaty 4 Territory, which is the original lands of the Cree, Ojibwe, Saulteaux, Dakota, Nakota, Lagota, and Métis peoples.
**L.M. Montgomery appreciated Canada's nature, but had no respect for the people whose stolen land she (and I today) had the privilege of living on. Read more here.

Popular posts from this blog

9 Reasons Why Zack on Gilmore Girls is the Worst

VIDEO: Tips for Better Dailies Notes

2 New-ish Perspectives on Work-Life Balance